Tuesday, June 2, 2009

*CONTEST* Win FREE Autographed Books!

Penguin USA was very generous to give me copies of MERMAIDS ON PARADE that I will autograph for some lucky winners. The Mermaid Parade is Saturday June 20, 2009 at Coney Island. Here’s a way fo join all the glittery fun.

Each year I march with the Superfine Dinettes who star as characters in my book, MERMAIDS ON PARADE.

CONTEST QUESTION:
Who will the Superfine Dinettes be marching as for the 2009 Mermaid Parade?

CLUE: It is a title of a song.

Read about the origins of the Superfine Dinettes.
In other years they were:
The Hip Hop Hula Mermaids
The MerMod Squad
The Ladies Mermalade

RULES:
1) Answer in the comment box on my blog.
(Remember to leave your website, blog link or some way to get in touch).
OR
2) Email your answer to melanie@melaniehopegreenberg.com

I will announce the lucky winners very soon after the Mermaid Parade.


Photo: Tim Galbreath 2006

8 comments:

kriswaldherr said...

How about the Shimmy Shimmy Shakes?

seta said...

How about Mermaids in Outer Space? (Ok, I admit it, I miss the Muppets!)

advice sister alison said...

They should be the tropical drinks!

melanie hope greenberg said...

My cousin Dick from Minneapolis asked me to post his entry.

He says: "The song is "Minnie the Mermaid" That's all I remember from about third grade. I thought it was racy then. Pretty appropriate for the parade, huh?  All the words I remember are something like this: 

"Oh, what a time I had with Minnie the Mermaid, 
Down at the bottom of the sea; 
There among the corals, 
That's where I lost my morals, 
Gee but she was awfully good to me." 
 
"And every night, when the starfish came out, 
I'd hug and squeeze her soooo, 
Oh, what a time I had with Minnie the Mermaid, 
Down in her seaweed bungalow." 

Michael S. said...

Here are my guesses:
To Siren with Love
I Want to Hold Your Fin

Nicole Feliciano said...

I blogged about the contest here:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/06/mermaids-on-parade.html

Good luck with the parade!

Ceci said...

My guess is "The Mermaid Song" -- popular at Renaissance fairs:

Twas Friday morn when we set sail
And we were not far from the land
When the captain, he spied a lovely mermaid
With a comb and a glass in her hand

O the ocean's waves will roll
And the stormy winds will blow
While we poor sailors go skipping to the top
And the landlubbers lie down below (below, below)
And the landlubbers lie down below

And up spoke the captain of our gallant ship
And a well-spoken man was he
I have me a wife in Salem by the sea
And tonight she a widow will be

And up spoke the cookie of our gallant ship
And a red hot cookie was he
Saying I care much more for my pots and my pans
Than I do for the bottom of the sea

Then up spoke the cabinboy, of our gallant ship
And a nasty little lad was he.
I'm not quite sure I can spell "mermaid"
But I'm going to the bottom of the sea.

Then three times around went our gallant ship
And three times around went she
Three times around went our gallant ship
And she sank to the bottom of the sea
_______________

In case you'd like to try it out:
KEY G

verse:
G G C C
C D7 G
G G C C
C D7 G

chorus:
G G G G
G G D7 D7
G G C C
C D7 G

My website's www.CeciBooks.com. You can email me from there! Have a great time in the parade :)

Claude Scales said...

All I can think of is "Sir Patrick Spens", an old Scottish song, as done by Fairport Convention (alas in their Sandy Denny-less period). It includes these lines:

Then up there sprach a mer-maiden,
A comb and glass all in her hand,
Here's tae ye me bonny young men,
For ye'll nae see dry land again!


I look forward to seeing you at the parade.